Transition and Grief Program
The Transition and Grief Support Team assists hospice patients, hospice patients' families, long term care/assisted living facilities, as well as the general community in these ways:
- Emotional support and comfort offered by bereavement coordinator and bereavement volunteers.
- Advocates with patient for last moments to be honored with beauty and dignity.
- Offers literature concerning physical, emotional, and spiritual concerns.
Families and Caregivers
- Emotional support and education given at the beginning of patient's admission to hospice. Accompany them as they experience anticipatory grief.
- Grief support immediately offered following patient's death. Family receives visits, phone calls, cards, letters, and appropriate community resources.
Long Term Care/Assisted Living Facilities
- One-on-One grief support for staff after loss of resident or fellow staff member.
- In-service that focuses on "The Basics of Grief". The purpose of the session is twofold: 1.) to equip staff to cope with their own grief professionally and privately. This may support less staff turnover and 2.) to give staff tools as they comfort patients and families with their grief. We understand that most staff want to help, but are unsure how.
- Annual Summer Community Memorial "Remembrance by the River" is an opportunity for people to gather by the waterfront in downtown OKC on a summer morning with beautiful music and companionship to scatter flowers as a tribute to a loved one.
- "Journey Through Grief" is a grief support group offered several times a year in various locations, designed to educate and give the bereaved the space they may need to share their story and emotions.
- Annual Winter Memorial. A beautiful evening for our staff along with the bereaved families we've served to share dinner, music and a ceremony as we place keepsake ornaments engraved with loved ones' names on a tree. The event is open to the community as well with RSVP required.
Walk To End Alzheimer’s
Staff raise funds during the year to support the Alzheimer’s Association and participate by volunteering in the Promise Garden or other areas during the annual Walk to End Alzheimer's in Oklahoma City each September.
We fund raise during the year and walk/run in October to raise awareness and support the Komen Oklahoma City Race for the Cure. We also support work of the Stephenson Cancer at the University of Oklahoma. In addition to sponsoring several University of Oklahoma athletic programs, many staff make a special effort to support and attend the annual OU Women’s Basketball ‘Pink Out' Play4K Game to support the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, committed to being a part of the fight against women’s cancers.
OHPCA Hospice Dash
We fund raise, work on the committee and represent Oklahoma Hospices in the Oklahoma Hospice Dash. 2013 was the first year for this fun event which offers a USATF sanctioned 5k race and a family fun walk for all ages to promote awareness of the hospice industry in Oklahoma. Participants may run in honor of a loved one who received hospice care or to appreciate the people working in the hospice industry. The event kicks off with the one mile family fun walk.